Friday, May 1, 2015

Stacey Dash, Hollywood conservative, to women: Quit crying about pay

OK, somebody get me a "I Heart Stacey Dash" t-shirt Right Now ...

Stacey Dash, one of Hollywood's most visible conservatives, went on national television to debate the notion of gender pay equity, telling host Meredith Vieira women should cry less and work more if they think they're facing discrimination.

Dash told Vieira women should "work harder" and take advantage of all opportunities that come their way in order to decrease the pay gap separating them from men, and those who complain are using their genders as an excuse.

"I feel like it's an excuse," she said, the Blaze reported. "It's the same thing with race. It's an excuse. Stop making excuses. If there are opportunities, be prepared for them – and be the best if that's what it takes. If you have to be extraordinary, then be extraordinary."

Vieira raised reports showing women make 78 cents for every dollar a man makes – and Dash replied, "I don't know if that's true."

She also said that while the numbers showing that claim might be true, the fact is today's woman has plenty of opportunities to make those numbers moot.

"I feel like your daughter will be able to make as much money as she wants in her life – just like you are. I mean, look at you," Dash said.

When Vieira said she worked hard to get where she was, and wasn't playing the victim but was nonetheless "pissed off," Dash said women who feel similarly ought to channel those feelings into action and work harder.

In a series of tweets after the show, Dash made her thoughts even clearer.

"I don't care if I am the lone voice in the woods," she wrote. "I will not let the government make women an entitlement class."

And another: "I am not anti-woman. I just don't believe that my gender needs a bunch of men in Congress to 'save us' from the big bad world."

She also wrote of 2008 Census Bureau data showing single women without children in their 20s "now earn 8 percent more on average than their male counterparts."

Here's the video:




No comments:

Post a Comment